Sunday, June 7, 2009
This is Ann, again, posting under Anna´s blog, because I can´t log on myself. While walking the camino intentionally in silence today, I found my heart singing even as my body was screaming, "Stop!" I have developed a sinus infection and accompanying cough, so the last two days have not been easy. Today was complicated by the fact that the clothes I washed yesterday did not get dry, so I think I had an extra 3-4 pounds in my backpack -- and that was after leaving a wet Furman t-shirt behind! My walking stick is my friend, and the 23rd Psalm played over and over in my head: Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me. While walking alone in a light rain through an unbelievably green forest, a horse came to greet me out of nowhere. I had an apple somewhere in my pack and put down my stick to try to get it for the horse. However, I couldn´t reach it without taking off the backpack, and that was not an option. The horse let me look for a couple of minutes and then bent down his head, retrieved the stick from the ground, and held it out to me. At least, that´s what seemed to happen. Maybe he just wanted to eat it, but I don´t think so! I am grateful for the surprises of each day. Last night we were regaled in song by four señors as we were eating supper, and we then sang "Brown Eyes" and "You Are My Sunshine" to them. The last one brought tears to the eyes of one of the older men and he asked for it again. I guess they just don´t get the "Brown Eyes" thing! Another surprise of today is that I found a Spanish "dime" and "penny" outside the small Catholic Church in Melide. God is trying to tell me something about money (security)! I placed both coins on the altar with a prayer before our St. Francis morning ritual. Kerry and Zara have given us something special to think about as we begin each day. What a tender, compassionate team they are! And what a wonderful family we all are. Thanks be to God! Ann Quattlebaum
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I share Ann´s sentiment about God trying to tell me something about money. Yesterday, I was sitting on the corner of a street in Melide and our group joked that I looked like a homeless person and they started throwning coins in my hat. I accepted those coins in the joking manner that they were given but there was a piece of me that wanted to hold onto those coins no matter how small. For I fear poverty and view the world through the eyes of scarcity. This morning Nick read a poem by Murray Bodo that said "If I am truely poor, then I am dependant on others for everything and I feel useless and worthless, and I realize deep within that everything is a gift from the father. Then in this attitude of complete dependence I become useful again, for then I am empty of selfishness and free to be God´s instrument instead of my own. In poverty I begin to value everything rightly again. I see how little really matters and I see that only that which glorifies God is of value." This quote combined with Peter´s sharing of his discipline of giving to those in need that I dont have time to explain, encourged me to let go of each of those coins and I began to place them on the camino markers. I ran out of those coins and had some US coins that I had brought and those were also difficult to let go of but they joined the Spanish coins. It is a small act of letting go but a start. May God lead.
ReplyDelete