Thursday, June 4, 2009

What were we thinking?

Since the past few posts have been so elequent and full of beautiful depth of thought, I decided to go against the flow and be completely blunt and slightly shallow. OUCH. more OUCH. "Oh, we´ve only gone seven miles, and we need to walk seven more?" lots more OUCH. We´ve just completed our second day of walking, and most of us are more exhausted and sore than we ever have been in our lives. Some have compared this walk to labor and childbirth!

However, it is difficult to describe the admiration and pride I have for our group. After only three full days, we are a supportive, close-knit community with a deep concern for each other´s well-being. What else is so amazing is that we are all so different. We hail from 10 states, and two countries, we have about a 40 year age range, and our professions vary from lawyers to doctors to priests. Yet what we all have in common is a determination to walk this Camino. We are hiking through a green and misty countryside, and are constantly amazed at the views, both large and small. We´ve come across several breath-taking scenery, but we are also awed by small signs of devotion, such as purposefully placed stones by a wooden cross.

I could go on and on, but instead I´m going to enjoy the evening sun across the Mino river from the bench by our hostel. Love to all, and buon camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment