Sunday, June 7, 2009
The Lesson of the Eucaliptus Tree
Last night, Zara shared with me that we would be seeing a lot of Eucaliptus trees during this portion of the camino. These trees are very invasive and require a tremendous amount of water. I took in this information but promptly stored it in a file in my mind. Today, when we started hiking, I saw two trees...very large...striking...I even smelled a distinctive odor as I passed below them...but had no clue what the trees were...I pondered it for a while and made a mental note to ask someone the identification of the trees. As,I hiked in intentional silence, I spent the first portion of the hike on inner self reflection, but later I chose to pray for my fellow pilgrims. I took each person individually and thanked God for them and their many wonderful qualities and asked him to watch over them and to bless them. When I came to Zara, it immediately occured to me that the trees that I was seeing and wanting to understand were Eucaliptus trees. For me this was a lesson,when we focus on ourselves we have a difficult time with the meaning of life but if we focus on others, our way will be made clear and we will have greater understanding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
For I was hungry and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me in your home. I was naked and you gave me clothing. I was sick and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visted me.
ReplyDeleteLove is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstnace.
ReplyDelete