Saturday, May 30, 2009

On the threshold. . .

Saludos!

I'm Michael Vagnini, a 2007 Furman graduate and an eager member of this pilgrimage group. The reality of beginning this journey of reflection and growth is just setting in.

This will be my second adventure in faith with the Lilly Center: back in 2005, I had the privilege to travel through Cuba with several of my peers and professors. On that journey, I found that the bonds of brotherhood extend far beyond our families and our friends, and that we each have a responsibility to work for peace and justice in our communities and beyond. My mind turned toward this mission, and for the last two years I have been working in a chemistry lab, studying fundamental elements of using and storing solar energy. My time in Cuba helped me become outward-focused. How could I use my own talents and enthusiasm to serve a greater cause?

In many ways, this pilgrimage may complement my trip to Cuba. I imagine that this journey will be a journey inward. From where do I derive the strength to sustain my enthusiasm, to fuel the use of my talents? This trek is a timely one: I have spent the last several months preparing for my candidacy exam, walking among skyscrapers, and facing the complexity of new relationships. It's a good time to simplify the road and remember who I am and what I'm all about.

I can't wait to meet my fellow pilgrims and to hear their stories. And I'm sure that the next two weeks contain a wonderful story, waiting to unfold.

Paz y amor,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment